AACR Honors Recipients of 2018 Scientific Achievement Awards and Lectureships
THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION for Cancer Research (AACR) honors the following cancer researchers and clinicians who were recognized for their scientific achievements during the AACR Annual Meeting 2018:
- Isaiah J. Fidler, DVM, PhD, FAACR, AACR President (1984-1985), Fellow of the AACR Academy and Professor in the Departments of Cancer Biology and Neurosurgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, has been awarded the12th Margaret Foti Award for Leadership and Extraordinary Achievements in Cancer Research.
- Joseph R. Bertino, MD, FAACR, AACR President (1995-1996); Fellow of the AACR Academy; American Cancer Society Professor; medical oncologist and senior advisor to the Director at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey; University Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, has been granted the 15th AACR Award for Lifetime Achievement in Cancer Research.
- The 12th AACR Team Science Award, supported by Lilly Oncology, has been awarded to the Genomic Approaches to Preventing and Treating Asian-Prevalent Cancers Team with Patrick Tan, MD, PhD, Professor at Duke-NUS Medical School; Deputy Executive Director, Biomedical Research Council (Agency for Science, Technology and Research); Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, Singapore, as the lead investigator.
- Jennifer A. Doudna, PhD, FAACR, Fellow of the AACR Academy; Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator; Li Ka Shing Chancelor’s Chair in Biomedical and Health Sciences and Professor, Departments of Molecular & Cell Biology and Chemistry, UC Berkeley; Executive Director of the Innovative Genomics Institute, Berkeley, has been granted the 14th AACR-Irving Weinstein Foundation Distinguished Lecture, supported by the Irving Weinstein Foundation.
- Recipient of the 21st Pezcoller Foundation-AACR International Award for Extraordinary Achievement in Cancer Research, supported by the Pezcoller Foundation, is Tony R. Hunter, PhD, FAACR, Fellow of the AACR Academy; American Cancer Society Professor; Renato Dulbecco Chair and Professor, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California.
- Lisa M. Coussens, PhD, Professor and Chairwoman of the Department of Cell, Developmental & Cancer Biology; Associate Director for basic research, Knight Cancer Institute, Portland, has been awared the 12th AACR-Princess Takamatsu Memorial Lectureship, supported by the Princess Takamatsu Cancer Research Fund.
- Awardee Pasi A. Jänne, MD, PhD, Director at Lowe Center for Thoracic Oncology and Director at Belfer Center for Applied Cancr Science, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute; and Professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, has been granted the Second AACR-Waun Ki Hong Award for Outstanding Achievement in Translational and Clinical Cancer Research.
- Antoni Ribas, MD, PhD, Member of the AACR Board of Directors (2016-2019); Professor of Medicine, Surgery, Molecular and edical Pharmacology; Director of Tumor Immunology Program, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center; Director of the Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy Center at UCLA, Los Angeles, has been awarded the Sixth AACR-Cancer Research Institute Lloyd J. Old Award in Cancer Immunology, supported by the Cancer Research Institute.
- The 58th AACR-G.H.A. Clowes Memorial Award, supported by Lilly Oncology, goes to Scott W. Lowe, PhD, Chair of Cancer Biolgy & Genetics Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
- Leslie Bernstein, PhD, Professor of Division of Biomarkers of Early Detection and Prevention, Department of Population Scinces, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, California, has been awarded the 27th Annual AACR-American Cancer Society Award for Research Excellence in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, supported by the American Cancer Society.
- The 23rd AACR-Joseph H. Burchenal Memorial Award for Outstanding Achievement in Clinical Cancer Research, supported by Bristol-Myers Squibb, has been granted to Johann S. De Bono, PhD, Professor of Experimental Cancer Medicine and Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology at the Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, England.
- John A. Katzenellenbogen, PhD, Swanlund Professor of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has been granted the 12th AACR Award for Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry in Cancer Research, supported by Piramal Pharma Solutions.
- The 13th AACR-Minorites in Cancer Research Jane Cooke Wright Memorial Lectureship goes to John D. Carpten, PhD, Chair of te Department of Translational Genomics at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles.
- Dafna Bar-Sagi, PhD, member of the AACR Board of Directors (2016-2019); and senior Vice President, Vice Dean for scienc, and Chief Scientific Officer at New York University Langone Medical Center, New York has been awarded the 21st AACR-Women in Cancer Research Charlotte Friend Memorial Lectureship. ■