AACR Inducts 2016 Class of Fellows of the AACR Academy
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) has announced its 11 newly elected Fellows of the AACR Academy.
The AACR Academy serves to recognize and honor distinguished scientists whose major scientific contributions have propelled significant innovation and progress against cancer. All Fellows are nominated and elected through a rigorous peer-review process conducted by existing Fellows of the AACR Academy and ratified by the AACR Executive Committee.
Annually, 11 individuals are chosen to join the AACR Academy, in honor of the 11 scientists and physicians who founded the AACR in 1907. The AACR formally inducted the newly elected Fellows at its 2016 Annual Meeting.
Members of the 2016 class of Fellows of the AACR Academy are:
- Bruce M. Alberts, PhD, Chancellor’s Leadership Chair in Biochemistry and Biophysics for Science and Education, University of California, San Francisco
- Clara D. Bloomfield, MD, Distinguished University Professor; William G. Pace III Professor of Cancer Research; Cancer Scholar and Senior Advisor, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute
- Thomas R. Cech, PhD, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Director, BioFrontiers Institute, University of Colorado
- John E. Dick, PhD, Canada Research Chair in Stem Cell Biology and Senior Scientist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine, University Health Network; Director, Program in Cancer Stem Cells, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research; Professor, Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto
- Joe W. Gray, PhD, Gordon Moore Endowed Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering; Director, Center for Spatial Systems Biomedicine; Associate Director for Biophysical Oncology, Knight Cancer Institute, Oregon Health & Science University
- Rudolf Jaenisch, MD, Founding Member and Professor, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research; Professor of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Eric S. Lander, PhD, Professor of Biology and Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School; Founding Director, The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Sir David P. Lane, PhD, Chief Scientist, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore; Scientific Director, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
- Henry T. Lynch, MD, Charles F. and Mary C. Heider Endowed Chair in Cancer Research; Chairman, Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health; Professor of Medicine; Director, Hereditary Cancer Center, Creighton University School of Medicine
- Joan Massagué, PhD, Director, Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Joseph Schlessinger, PhD, William H. Prusoff Professor and Chair of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Yale School of Medicine ■