AACR Welcomes New Leadership
The members of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) have elected five members to serve on the AACR Board of Directors for the 2018–2021 term and four members to serve on the Nominating Committee for the 2018–2020 term. These new directors and committee members began their terms at the 2018 AACR Annual Meeting, held in Chicago April 14–18.
New Members of Board of Directors
The following five scientists were elected to the Board of Directors:
- Adriana Albini, PhD, -Professor of Pathology, Department of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milan-Bicocca; Head of Vascular Biology and Angiogenesis Laboratory, IRCCS (Scientific Institute and Hospital for Research, Treatment and Health Care) MultiMedica; and Scientific Director, MultiMedica Onlus Foundation, Milan, Italy
- René M. Bernards, DPhil, Professor of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam; Founding Member, Oncode Institute, Utrecht, Netherlands; Professor of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Utrecht University, Netherlands; Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Agendia NV, Amsterdam; Co-Founder, Oncosence BV, Abcoude, Netherlands; Co-Founder, Qameleon Therapeutics BV, Amsterdam
- Carl H. June, MD, FAACR, Richard W. Vague Professor in Immunotherapy; Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; Professor of Medicine; Director, Center for Cellular Immunotherapies; Director, Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia
- Edison T. Liu, MD, Director, The Jackson Laboratory Cancer Center, and President and Chief Executive Officer, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine; Professor, Department of Genetics and Developmental Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington; Honorary Joint Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, and Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, National University of Singapore; Adjunct Professor, Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- David A. Tuveson, MD, PhD, Professor and Director of Cancer Center, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cancer Center, Cold Spring Harbor, New York; Professor of Pancreatic Cancer Medicine, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
New Members of Nominating Committee
The following four scientists were elected to the Nominating Committee:
- Carlos L. Arteaga, MD, FAACR, AACR President 2014–2015; Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center; Associate Dean for Oncology Programs; Professor of Medicine; and the Lisa K. Simmons Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
- Suzanne Cory, PhD, FAACR, Honorary Professorial Fellow, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Melbourne, Australia; Honorary Distinguished Professorial Fellow, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Australia
- Judy E. Garber, MD, MPH, FAACR, AACR President 2011–2012; Director, Center for Cancer Genetics and Prevention; Susan F. Smith Chair; and active staff in medical oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston; Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston; Associate Physician of Medicine and Attending Physician of Medical Service, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
- Tak W. Mak, PhD, FAACR, Director of the Campbell Family Institute for Breast Cancer Research at the Princess Margaret Hospital and Director, Advanced Medical Discovery Institute, University Health Network, Toronto; member, Institute of Medical Science and University Professor in the Departments of Medical Biophysics and Immunology, University of Toronto; senior scientific staff, The Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto. ■