On February 23, 2017, ASCO launched its newest online-only journal, JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics (JCO CCI).
The first four articles published in JCO CCI are:
1) An editorial from JCO CCI Editor-in-Chief Debra A. Patt, MD, MPH, MBA, introducing the publication and laying out its objective of bringing people together to help realize the promise of informatics (Our Journey Begins)
2) An editorial from ASCO immediate Past President Julie M. Vose, MD, MBA, FASCO, emphasizing the growing importance of data to the field of oncology and how JCO CCI will support “a national cancer ecosystem” (Learning From Our Patients)
3) A “Comments and Controversies” piece on using algorithms to automate clinical judgment (Opportunities for Patient-Matching Algorithms to Improve Patient Care in Oncology)
4) An “Original Report” on embedding the collection of electronic patient-reported outcome data into routine clinical care to alleviate the problem of missing data (Integration of Electronic Patient-Reported Outcomes Into Routine Cancer Care: An Analysis of Factors Affecting Data Completeness)
JCO CCI is a peer-reviewed interdisciplinary journal that publishes clinically actionable research and important new clinical hypotheses based on biomedical informatics methods and processes applied to cancer-related electronic health record, registry, clinical trial, and omics data and information. Health informatics, as defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, is the “field of information science concerned with the analysis, use, and dissemination of medical data and information through the application of computers to various aspects of health-care and medicine.”1
In addition to original research and reviews, JCO CCI will publish editorials and commentaries, all reporting on biomedical informatics studies relevant to cancer treatment, care delivery, outcomes, and prevention. The publication also seeks papers that advance the development, interpretation, and clinical application of cancer informatics research.
To learn more or submit a paper, please visit the journal’s website, http://ascopubs.org/journal/cci/. ■
© 2017. American Society of Clinical Oncology. All rights reserved.
1. U.S. National Library of Medicine: Collection development manual, medical informatics. Last update January 2004. Available at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/acquisitions/cdm/subjects58.html. Accessed March 1, 2017.